Call for Presentation Abstracts for Centennial Meeting of the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT)
In preparation for the Centennial Anniversary of the AAPT, the AAPT is having a call for presentation abstracts on a broad range of topics based on the responses from the Membership survey. To apply to be a presenter at the Centennial Meeting, AAPT is requesting the submittal of an abstract (500 words or less) that best describes the content of the presentation. The presentation timeslot is scheduled to be 30 minutes – 20 minutes for presentation content and 10 minutes for questions/comments. In addition to the abstract, a bulletized summary of the presenter’s experience pertaining directly to the selected topic is required to show competence of the topic. Please note this is specifically a call for presentations – a call for papers will be advertised for the 2025 annual meeting as traditionally conducted by the AAPT.
You can submit your abstract via this link: https://unh.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9o5YeArPoJ9M9lI
The deadline for submittal is March 31, 2024
Presentation topics and conceptual ideas requested for the meeting are noted below. However, additional topics will be considered if found applicable. Please note whether you are interested in participating as - Podium Only; Poster Only; Both
History of AAPT
- Overview of the history of AAPT: past vs. present
- Most of the impactful papers on asphalt binders’ rheology
- Most of the impactful papers on mixture design and performance
- Most of the impactful papers on Construction
Evolution of Asphalt Mixtures Design throughout the Years
- Overview of early mix design methods and impact on the industry
- Evolvement of Superpave: from research and development to implementation
- Bailey method, Superpave 5, others?
- What was missed? Open ended question to lead into BMD-related discussions.
Characterizing Asphalt Binders from Basics to Beyond
- Introduction to binder rheology
- Current binder tests and specifications: are we missing anything?
- Leveraging research to improve binder specifications (few of the NCHRP recent findings into one presentation)
- Binder chemistry and how it is related to performance.
- Where are we on the horizon: A futuristic perspective on charactering asphalt binders?
Quality Control and Construction Practices: Impactful Events from Past to Present
- Asphalt Mixture Production Through the Years: Batch plants to Continuous drum-based plants: where is the future?
- Evolution of asphalt mixtures delivery and compaction practices (MTV, extended auger pavers, improvements in rollers; maybe thick lift asphalt pavement construction)
- Evolution of construction quality control tools: nuclear gauge, intelligent compaction, and rolling density meter (RDM)
- Addressing functional needs of pavement surfaces
- How to construct the “Perfect Pavement”?
Researching Inclusion of Recyclable Components in Asphalt Mixtures Over the Years
- History of RAP in asphalt mixtures
- History of Ground Tire Rubber in asphalt mixtures
- History of Recycled Plastics in asphalt mixtures
- Future trends on upcycling
Towards More Sustainable and Resilient Pavements
- Definitions and Concepts in the context of sustainability and resilience
- Overview of FHWA Climate Challenge Initiative and Progress (FHWA)
- Project highlights from Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and/or Southwest regions
- Implementation and Regulations: Impact of EPDs on future business
- Overview and highlights of effort on resilience of pavement structures.
Preserving Asphalt Pavements: Applications and Implications on Service Life
- History of pavement preservations
- Performance-Based Preservation Applications: Quantification of benefits
- In-place recycling
- Circumventing barriers from specifications, to budgeting, to construction.
- Mainstreaming pavement preservations: actions needed?
Interdependency of Pavement Materials, Design, and Performance
- Necessity of considering both materials and design to guarantee good performance (introduction)
- AASHTOWare® Pavement ME: overview and future use, current implementation status
- PassFlex and FlexPave: overview and future use
- Case Study: Perpetual Pavements
- Bridging the Gap between Materials and Pavement Performance (BMD vs. pavement performance)